These Forums Are Now Read-Only

For TubePress support, please post a question here or open a support ticket and we will be glad to assist.

Photo

Can't change thumbnail size

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 James Fischerle

James Fischerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

Using theme Twenty Ten 1.1. In Tubepress setting I can change the thumbnail size from the default sixe of 90x120, but the changes do not take effect. I am trying to make the thumbs bigger. Any idea what's wrong or how to fix?

thnx!

Alex

#2 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi Alex,

High-quality thumbnails is a feature for TubePress Pro only. http://tubepress.com/features for a comparison between the two versions.

Thanks,
Eric

#3 James Fischerle

James Fischerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Eric! Except it says that I can change the height and width of the thumbs in standard tubepress, and the thumbs don't change when i raise the pixel size in the settings. Also, they thumbs often appears staggered when the page loads, and not in a straight line across. Is there any way to fix that?

Alex

#4 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

Without TubePress Pro the largest thumbnails you can have is 90x120. You can change the size, but only to make them smaller.

As for your misaligned thumbnails, feel free to send along a link so we can take a look. Thanks.

#5 James Fischerle

James Fischerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

I upgraded to Pro and increased the thumbnail size and checked Ajax and High-Quality thumbs. All that appeared to happen is the titles under the thumbnail got wider, while the images, which is really all I wanted to change, have remained the same small size. What am I doing wrong?

http://trouperproductions.com/media/

thanks!

James Fischerle, site admin.

**UPDATE: I have since looked at the site on another browser, and on that one the thumbs were enormous, with no spaces between them, so i changed the setting by unclicking Ajax and High-Quality thumbs. The size is set to Height:120 X Width:150 and i see no changes on the browsers, despite clearing cache and history. One browser shows the very old template, tiny thumbs, staggered, and the other browser shows huge thumbs, jammed together with no spaces and no captions. Would really appreciate some assistance. Thanks! JF

#6 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi James,

Could you please re-enable the high quality thumbs option? Let me know and then I'll have another look at your gallery. And thank you for your purchase!

Eric

#7 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

I think the reason that the thumbnails are so large is that your CSS is telling the images to use "auto" height and width. So the images are coming out in the native size (which is a bit too big to fit in your gallery) i.e. in http://trouperproduc...en.../style.css around line 762 you have:

#content img {
    height:auto;
    margin:0;
    max-width:640px;
    width:auto;
}
I would remove the height/width attributes:

#content img {
    margin:0;
    max-width:640px;
}
Give that a whirl and let us know.

#8 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

One more tweak to your CSS and I think you'll be all set. On line 466 you have

#content p, #content ul, #content ol, #content dd, #content pre, #content hr {
margin-bottom:24px;
}
You'll want to remove "#content dd" from the selector so it looks like this:

#content p, #content ul, #content ol, #content pre, #content hr {
margin-bottom:24px;
}
I just tested it with Firebug and it looks nearly identical to your vimeo page.

#9 James Fischerle

James Fischerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:48 PM

Great! And I got a reply button. Only thing left I don't get is why some of the images are squeezed here and not on the vimeo page. Thanks for all the help.

James

#10 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

Try resizing your thumbs (using WP Admin > Settings > TubePress > Appearance) to 200 x 150 (their size on Vimeo)...

#11 James Fischerle

James Fischerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

tried that. as you can see they're still squeezed

#12 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

Very interesting. Here's what's going on. Vimeo provides thumbnails for its videos in the following sizes:

• 75 x 100 (default for non TubePress Pro users)
  • 150 x 200 (same size as on vimeo.com)
  • 360 x 640 (TubePress "high quality thumbnails" option uses this one)
  • 720 x 1280 (most videos don't actually have this size, but some do)

The problem, and this is new to me, is that the 360 x 640 thumbnail doesn't have the same ratio as the 150 x 200 thumbnail. So vimeo fills in the space with black bars on the side of the image, thus making your thumbnails look squeezed. Ugh. In the future I'll likely have to add a few more options to allow TubePress Pro users to select which hq vimeo thumbnail they want.

Presumably you will want the 150 x 200, right? If so, you can get it right now by making a tiny change to TubePress's code. Edit the file classes/org/tubepress/video/factory/ProVimeoVideoFactory.class.php. On line 43 you'll see

intval($width) > 640)
just change it to

intval($width) > 200)
Sorry for the hassle, but like I said this is the first time I'm encountering this issue.

#13 James Fischerle

James Fischerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

I tried those setting but the images are still squeezed. And some of the captions are hidden again. Curious... Any thoughts?

thnx!

JF

**IGNORE THIS POST. SEE FOLLOWING.

#14 James Fischerle

James Fischerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

That did it, thanks a lot for the assist!

#15 James Fischerle

James Fischerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:49 AM

I can't find this file in the latest update of Tubepress Pro to get my thumbnails working right again. I wish it was easier to upgrade Tubepress without having to jump through so many hoops.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Very interesting. Here's what's going on. Vimeo provides thumbnails for its videos in the following sizes:

• 75 x 100 (default for non TubePress Pro users)
  • 150 x 200 (same size as on vimeo.com)
  • 360 x 640 (TubePress "high quality thumbnails" option uses this one)
  • 720 x 1280 (most videos don't actually have this size, but some do)

The problem, and this is new to me, is that the 360 x 640 thumbnail doesn't have the same ratio as the 150 x 200 thumbnail. So vimeo fills in the space with black bars on the side of the image, thus making your thumbnails look squeezed. Ugh. In the future I'll likely have to add a few more options to allow TubePress Pro users to select which hq vimeo thumbnail they want.

Presumably you will want the 150 x 200, right? If so, you can get it right now by making a tiny change to TubePress's code. Edit the file classes/org/tubepress/video/factory/ProVimeoVideoFactory.class.php. On line 43 you'll see

intval($width) > 640)
just change it to

intval($width) > 200)
Sorry for the hassle, but like I said this is the first time I'm encountering this issue.

#16 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

Sorry that the upgrade has been a pain for you! There were a ton of under-the-hood changes in 2.2.0, so it's not surprising at all that you weren't able to find things in the same places as the previous version. Please let me know how I can make this easier in the future.

As for the Vimeo thumbnails fix, classes/org/tubepress/video/factory/ProVimeoVideoFactory.class.php has moved to sys/classes/org/tubepress/impl/factory/strategies/ProVimeoFactoryStrategy.class.php. And the line you need to change is 49. Let me know how that works. Thanks.