These Forums Are Now Read-Only

For TubePress support, please post a question here or open a support ticket and we will be glad to assist.

Photo

Choosing YouTube videos with tags [SOLVED]

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Lovegrove

Ben Lovegrove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

I've been through the documentation and although there are plenty of options for how to display the results I don't seem to be able to find examples of how choosing by tags can be more explicit.

What is the syntax/operands for phrases and 'or'?

tagValue="tagone, tagtwo, tagthree" - is the comma an OR?

tagValue="tagone tagtwo tagthree" - the space OR or is this a three word exact phrase?

tagValue="(tagone, tagtwo, tagthree)" - should I use parentheses?

Thanks

#2 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hi,

My apologies - this was a bug in the documentation! I've updated the docs to correctly reflect that, for YouTube search based galleries, you can use the pipe character to specify "or". For instance, if I wanted to search for beer, wine, or liquor, I would use

[tubepress mode="tag" tagValue="beer|wine|liquor"]
Give that a try and let us know? Thanks!

#3 Ben Lovegrove

Ben Lovegrove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for that. I've also since found out how to do exact phrases by looking a bit more closely at the example in the docs. I didn't spot the quote marks and the single inverted commas at first.

[tubepress mode="tag" tagValue='"learning to fly"'] = phrase

Thanks!

#4 Ben Lovegrove

Ben Lovegrove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Update:

One problem: with a phrase specified and several options after that, I get the results I'm looking for and it appears that there are three pages of results, but when I got to page two the videos are nothing to do with the tags and there are many more pages of them.

The company is 'Ultimate High' and the possible variants are locations and aircraft. Here's the syntaxes I've tried:

[tubepress playerColor="A32638" mode="tag" tagValue='"Ultimate High"+"kemble|goodwood|bulldog|extra300"' resultsPerPage="48]

and

[tubepress playerColor="A32638" mode="tag" tagValue='"Ultimate High"+kemble|goodwood|bulldog|extra300' resultsPerPage="48]

I thought the keyword 'bulldog' might the problem so I took that out - same results - lots of weird vids that have nothing to do with the search terms.

#5 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Here is the shortcode that you'll want to use:

[tubepress playerColor="A32638" mode="tag" tagValue='"Ultimate High" kemble|goodwood|bulldog|extra300' resultsPerPage="48]
Which version of TubePress are you using? TubePress 3.0.0 (for which a release candidate is available) fixed at least one bug related to using search terms enclosed in double quotes, especially with Ajax pagination. The release candidate is quite stable and I'm unofficially recommending that folks install it on sites that aren't extremely busy.

I tested the shortcode above locally with TubePress 3.0.0 and all three pages appear to match the same search on youtube.com. So we know at least this this should be working.

Thanks!

#6 Ben Lovegrove

Ben Lovegrove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hi Eric,

Yes, it seems I was using v 2_4_5 and not Pro 3_0_0, so I've installed the up to date version now and the above tagging works well i.e. it retrieves exactly what I want.

http://www.privatepi...at...h-flights/

The only problem now is the descriptions underneath. I've selected three of the text items to display and a character limit of 250 but I see just one line in red. Is this a cache issue?

#7 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Two things to fix this:

• You have HTML <code> tags surrounding your gallery. To fix this, you can simply use WordPress's HTML Editor (as opposed to the Visual Editor) to edit the page. Be sure to remove both the leading (<code>) and trailing () HTML tags from around the [tubepress] shortcode

• To make your rows larger, you can add a simple CSS rule to the bottom of your theme's style.css (wp-content/themes/mindstream/style.css):

.tubepress_thumb {
       height: 275px;
    }
    That will reduce just about all of the overlap. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/2lzWi.png

Give that a try? Thanks.

#8 Ben Lovegrove

Ben Lovegrove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Thanks Eric. I went through all the posts yesterday before your reply and spotted a few that had <code> tags around them so they're all removed now, and yes, you're correct. The CSS adjustment works.

Thanks!