These Forums Are Now Read-Only

For TubePress support, please post a question here or open a support ticket and we will be glad to assist.

Photo

TubePress Pro / WordPress multiple sources not loading

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Siodlak

Tom Siodlak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hello,

http://www.yearbookl...-video-gallery/

This page is supposed to load multiple playlists from YouTube.

Here is my shortcode:

[tubepress mode="playlist" playlistValue="PLnlRG8JINc3Ue99eNm9YnWcrc6A8--OEP + PLnlRG8JINc3XamXMJQZBkrNPrlFIGP3lM + PLnlRG8JINc3XZp7XfHzeIzMVG7Ci9hQvZ + PLnlRG8JINc3XBUapq7t4pQRO20gefYpIv + PLnlRG8JINc3UNaaNLYbQbyq_RYr4Wj0er + PLnlRG8JINc3UJzQkRmdGkWuBJPEhj15BJ + PLnlRG8JINc3UqUp0DVomWx6rtg4y78524 + PLnlRG8JINc3WkFQ_ESHGCfuM3hQ-Ee4bU + PLnlRG8JINc3WT60V0mRGAHm2yM5vqw1Ax" views="false" length="false" playerLocation="fancybox"]

#2 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hi!

Based on what I can see from your debug output, TubePress is correctly pulling from those playlists. However it looks like you the result count cap set to 15 (WP Admin > Settings > TubePress > Feed > "Maximum total videos to retrieve") which is causing the gallery to stop after 15 thumbnails. Set that to a higher number (or 0 to remove the limit) and you should see the rest of your videos.

Give that a try and let us know? Thanks!

#3 Tom Siodlak

Tom Siodlak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hi Eric,

That value was set to the default of 300. I changed it to 0 but that didn't help.

I changed the mode to mode="playlist + user" even though I do not have a user set because I am just pulling from a few of my own playlists and now pagination is showing and multiple videos but it appears to be all the videos from my user, not just the videos from the playlists I choose. Any other thoughts?

#4 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

TubePress Pro 2.4.5 has a bug that has been fixed in TubePress 3.0.0. Under closer examination I'm nearly certain that you're experiencing this bug.

I just published another release candidate for TubePress Pro 3.0.0 to the members area under the filename tubepress_pro_3_0_0_RC3.zip. It will very likely be identical to the final version of 3.0.0, so I'm comfortable asking you to install this version instead of your current copy of 2.4.5.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing how this works for you!

#5 Tom Siodlak

Tom Siodlak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hello Eric,

I upgraded to the 3.0.0 and once I removed + user from the mode it still does not display pagination.

http://www.yearbookl...-video-gallery/

[tubepress mode="playlist" playlistValue="PLnlRG8JINc3Ue99eNm9YnWcrc6A8--OEP + PLnlRG8JINc3XamXMJQZBkrNPrlFIGP3lM + PLnlRG8JINc3XZp7XfHzeIzMVG7Ci9hQvZ + PLnlRG8JINc3XBUapq7t4pQRO20gefYpIv + PLnlRG8JINc3UNaaNLYbQbyq_RYr4Wj0er + PLnlRG8JINc3UJzQkRmdGkWuBJPEhj15BJ + PLnlRG8JINc3UqUp0DVomWx6rtg4y78524 + PLnlRG8JINc3WkFQ_ESHGCfuM3hQ-Ee4bU + PLnlRG8JINc3WT60V0mRGAHm2yM5vqw1Ax" views="false" length="false" playerLocation="fancybox"]

Could you please try my shortcode on your WordPress copy to see if it works? Thank you.

#6 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hi,

Thanks for installing 3.0.0. Looks like we're getting closer to a solution. I tested your shortcode locally and am getting the same results that you're seeing. Looking at the playlists you're selecting, they only have a combined total of 36 videos:

nlRG8JINc3Ue99eNm9YnWcrc6A8--OEP - 3 videos

nlRG8JINc3XamXMJQZBkrNPrlFIGP3lM - 2 videos

nlRG8JINc3XZp7XfHzeIzMVG7Ci9hQvZ - 1 videos

nlRG8JINc3XBUapq7t4pQRO20gefYpIv - 2 videos

nlRG8JINc3UNaaNLYbQbyq_RYr4Wj0er - 2 videos

nlRG8JINc3UJzQkRmdGkWuBJPEhj15BJ - 9 videos

nlRG8JINc3UqUp0DVomWx6rtg4y78524 - 1 videos

nlRG8JINc3WkFQ_ESHGCfuM3hQ-Ee4bU - 1 videos

nlRG8JINc3WT60V0mRGAHm2yM5vqw1Ax - 15 videos

And since you're display all 36 videos, TubePress doesn't show any pagination. If you would like to show pagination by reducing the number of videos per page, you can set resultsPerPage to a lower value. e.g. resultsPerPage="6".

Does that get you closer to what you have in mind? Let me know and we'll keep working to get it right. Thanks.

#7 Tom Siodlak

Tom Siodlak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Thank you for working on this with me. I added resultsPerPage="6" to the shortcode and it is now showing:
Page 1: 24 videos
Page 2: 9 videos
Page 3: 3 videos

I then changed the value to "12" and it shows the videos as:
Page 1: 33 videos
Page 2: 3 videos

It doesn't appear to be respecting the value for the resultsPerPage. I also changed "Thumbnails per page" to 12 in the admin settings but it is still showing more thumbnails on page 1 than it should.

#8 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

What you're seeing is an effect of multiple sources on the resultsPerPage parameter. When you use more than one source, TubePress tries to figure out how to "best" split up the gallery pages. Let me take your scenario to explain how it works. TubePress sees that the single source with the most total videos is nlRG8JINc3UJzQkRmdGkWuBJPEhj15BJ with 9 videos. Since resultsPerPage = 6, TubePress knows that it will have exactly 2 pages in your gallery: the first with 6 and the second page with 3 videos. It doesn't care how many total videos the other sources have, as they will certainly be contained within 2 pages.

In short, TubePress front-loads your gallery pages. This logic isn't perfect. Ideally TubePress would figure out the best way to show exactly 6 videos per page, even with multiple sources. But that logic is significantly complex and, unfortunately, just isn't implemented quite yet (though in a near future release it will be).

How many videos per page would you like to show? We should be able to get it close to what you're after. Thanks again for your patience in working this out!

#9 Tom Siodlak

Tom Siodlak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I removed the results per page from the shortcode in order to let it use the parameter form the settings page but it is still showing more results than I would like it to. The goal is to have 6, 9, or 12 results on the first page then have the rest paginated if there are additional videos. How would I best accomplish this with multiple sources?

#10 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

With TubePress's current implementation, I would probably set resultsPerPage="1". That way, your first page will have 9 videos, the second 6, and each subsequent page fewer and fewer videos. Again this is an artifact of TubePress "front loading" the gallery pages, which obviously isn't perfect.

Another alternative, although potentially tedious, would be to consolidate the videos from all of those playlists into one or two playlists.That would, you'd have much better control over the number of videos per page.

Does that make sense? I apologize that TubePress isn't meeting your needs exactly, and it's now high on my priorities to implement a smarter pagination algorithm when multiple sources are used. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

#11 Tom Siodlak

Tom Siodlak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot this with me. My original understanding was that multiple playlists would load all the videos into a single pool and then we could break them up with pagination. I see what you are saying on how it loads them. I am going to create the master playlist for all the videos and then paginate it correctly. Thanks again.