These Forums Are Now Read-Only

For TubePress support, please post a question here or open a support ticket and we will be glad to assist.

Photo

Could not unserialize data from Vimeo

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hi,

I have recently been developing a Wordpress site. On my testing server, Tubepress has been functioning correctly.

I have just transferred the site to the client's server, and Tubepress now gives the following message on the page on which it is supposed to appear:

“Could not unserialize data from Vimeo”

EDIT: Here is a link to the problem page: http://filmineducation.com/films/

Tubepress is trying to show a feed of videos from a Vimeo channel.

I have checked to make sure the new server has the required PHP version, which it does. Any help resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

#2 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi Will,

According to your TubePress debug output, the error message from Vimeo is

The URL you requested has been blocked. URL = vimeo.com/api/rest/v2?method=vimeo.channels.getVideos&channel_id=370808&full_response=true&page=1&per_page=16&format=php
I've never seen this error message before. And it looks like the channel works fine on vimeo.com. I also ran a test from tubepress.org and the gallery displays correctly. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/foCm1.png. It looks like your server is physically located in the UK? My guess is that Vimeo doesn't like seeing a non-US IP address.

I would try either asking for help in the Vimeo Help forum or via support@vimeo.com. Let me know what else I can do to assist. Thanks!

#3 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your help. I will follow this up in the Vimeo forums.

The testing server I used to develop the site was also located in the UK, and that did not give any problems so it might not be as simple as a non-US IP address.

Regards,
Will

#4 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Thanks, Will. I'll keep an eye on your post in the Vimeo forum and provide any assistance that I'm able to.

#5 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi Eric,

As you may have seen, Vimeo have simply responded saying they won't troubleshoot a third-party plugin.

I'm not sure what to do; any further input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Will

#6 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi Will,

I just chimed in to the discussion there. The Vimeo tech support has a reputation for being non-helpful, so I'm not expecting much. Very frustrating...

#7 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hi Eric,

I really appreciate your support and expertise in trying to resolve this issue. I see that Ian at Vimeo has asked that the issue be raised in the API forums; would you like me to start a thread there?

Regards,
Will

#8 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

In my last post offered to start a thread, but it appears that Vimeo no longer provide support on their API forums.

I appreciate that you really need more information from Vimeo, but any further suggestions for things I could try to get Tubepress working again would be gratefully received.

EDIT: Sorry it's taken me a few days, I just discovered your PHP file for checking server settings and it appears the new server does not meet the requirements for PCRE 7.1 (http://filmineducation.com/check.php). Do you think this could be the cause of the problem?

Regards,
Will

#9 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi Will,

I love it - they simply shut down the entire support channel for their API with no warning or explanation. Now that's what I call customer service!

No, I don't think PCRE has anything to do with this - even though your server doesn't actually meet the requirements. If it was a PCRE-related issue, your TubePress installation would not have even been able to connect to Vimeo at all. So I think it's safe to rule that out (though I would still consider upgrading!).

My hunch is that it's a regional issue, and that Vimeo has decided to block API requests coming from that particular IP. Your testing server is also located in the UK, but presumably it's an entirely different server on an entirely different network? I think if we could identify the difference between the working and non-working servers, that could lead us to a solution. And in the meantime we'll see if Vimeo can help us.

#10 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

Hi Eric,

It's a poor show from Vimeo—terrible service for one forum to redirect a query into another that isn't even providing support any more!

In terms of servers, I'm afraid I don't know much about the live one but, yes, it is a completely different server on a different network. If you could let me know which information could prove useful, I will get in touch with the customer's hosting company and try to find out.

Regards,
Will

#11 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hi Eric,

My client needed to get their website live, so I have had to temporarily change the page I was having the problem with.

I have created a new testing page with the problem that can be used for reference: http://filmineducati...tubepress-test/

Regards,
Will

#12 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi Will,

What's the IP address of both the production server and the testing server? That would be useful to provide to Vimeo, if we ever get their help.

In the meantime, I would suggest both asking them this question via Twitter and email: https://developer.vimeo.com/help. The squeaky wheel gets the oil...

#13 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

Hi Eric,

I have now contacted Vimeo via email and Twitter, though I don't hold much hope for a useful response. I included the IP addresses in the email I sent.

Thanks for all your help so far. Unfortunately, it is looking like I'll need to source an alternative solution to get my customer's gallery up and running.

EDIT: I have noticed there is new version of Tubepress available. Do you think my problem could be caused because I'm using v2.4.3?

Regards,
Will

#14 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

Hi Will,

Did you hear anything back?

EDIT: I have noticed there is new version of Tubepress available. Do you think my problem could be caused because I'm using v2.4.3?

No. The changes since 2.4.3 have nothing to do with Vimeo particularly. But I always recommend upgrading to the latest release.

#15 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:12 AM

Hi Eric,

No reply I'm afraid. Seems like they're happy to ignore this one.

Thanks for the info on the update.

Regards,
Will

#16 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

Hi Eric,

Assuming that Vimeo doesn't respond any further, or at least doesn't come up with any useful support, is that the end of the line in terms of solving this problem?

I do appreciate that the issue seems to lie with the API/Vimeo, rather than Tubepress, I just need to know in terms of finding a solution for my client.

Regards,
Will

#17 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hi Will,

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else that we can do from our end. If I were in your shoes I would try to convince the client to switch the site to a new server that [i]isn't[/b] apparently blocked by Vimeo. Depending on how important the video gallery is to your client, that may or may not be a reasonable suggestion.

As always please let me know what else I can do for you. I hate feeling this helpless!

Cheers,

Eric

#18 Will Leeks

Will Leeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

Hi Eric,

I thought that was probably the case. Not sure they'll be keen on changing servers but I can at least let them know!

Thanks for all your help trying to get this solved, your efforts are much appreciated.

Regards,
Will

#19 Christoph Hoette

Christoph Hoette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hi Will,

did you find a solution to this problem? I checked the links you provided and Tubepress seems to be working on your site now.

I am having the same problem after moving a site from my development server, where Tubepress was working fine, to the client server, where i get the same error message “Could not unserialize data from Vimeo”.

The link to the site is http://normanbever.d...&t...debug=true

And the development server http://christophhoette.de/bever/video/

I have already checked the server settings using the check.php file and they meet the requirements.

I am really at my wits' end, so any help would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
Christoph

#20 Alex Lewis

Alex Lewis

• TubePress Pro
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I am experiencing this same problem both on a dev server locally & online. This is happening with Tubepress Pro 3.0 & the earlier 2.45 version. Any ideas? We have a few client sites in rapid production that are serving from Vimeo & we can't go public with this sort of issue.

R. Alex Lewis