These Forums Are Now Read-Only

For TubePress support, please post a question here or open a support ticket and we will be glad to assist.

Photo

Display Vimeo description under player?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nigel Barker

Nigel Barker

• TubePress Pro
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

I have a simple video gallery drawing content from a Vimeo album & it works very nicely but I would like to pick up & display under the featured video the description from Vimeo. I don't want the description under each thumbnail as just the title is sufficient & it would be too cluttered with the full description under each thumbnail. I just want the description under the player but unless I have missed something there is no option for this.

This is the current page http://www.alicebark...ideo-portfolio/

BTW I am a sometime software developer reasonably OK with PHP so if you could just give me some pointers to where I should start looking if it's necessary to modify the code then would be a great start.

Cheers

Nigel

#2 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hi Nigel,

There's a few other posts in the forum on this topic, but here are the steps to get this feature. It's not the simplest process on the planet, I know. But I think you'll find that this way gives you maximum flexibility in laying out your gallery, and it's totally upgrade-proof.

• If you haven't already, create and activate a TubePress theme to hold your customizations. Assuming you're using WordPress, you'll want to create a directory for your theme at

wp-content/tubepress-content/themes/yourtheme
    Standalone PHP users can create the directory at

tubepress_pro_x_y_z/content/themes/yourtheme
  • Copy into your new theme the following file and its parent directories

tubepress_pro_x_y_z/sys/ui/themes/default/players/normal.tpl.php
    So after this step you should have that file at

wp-content/tubepress-content/themes/yourtheme/players/normal.tpl.php
  • Edit your newly copied normal.tpl.php to add in the description wherever you'd like it, using getDescription() to display the text. e.g.

...<div id="tubepress_embedded_object_<span class="syntaxdefault"><?php echo ${org_tubepress_api_const_template_Variable::GALLERY_ID}; ?>">      <?php echo ${org_tubepress_api_const_template_Variable::EMBEDDED_SOURCE}; ?></div><!-- Adding the description... --><div>    <?php echo ${org_tubepress_api_const_template_Variable::VIDEO}->getDescription(); ?></div>...</span>
That should be it. Make sense? Let me know if you get hung up on any of these steps and I'll be glad to assist. Thanks!

#3 Nigel Barker

Nigel Barker

• TubePress Pro
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

I did try searching through the forum before posting but the search function in phpBB is very primitive so I couldn't find anything.

Thanks. That code snippet worked like a charm. Unfortunately the description is truncated to 80 characters plus an elipsis (...). Is this a TubePress defined limit or is it the Vimeo API?

#4 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

Whoops! Just responded to your other post.

Regardless, the 80 character limit on the description is from TubePress. You can edit this from WordPress in WP Admin > Settings > TubePress > Meta. Or you can use the "descriptionLimit" shortcode. e.g.

[tubepress descriptionLimit="0"]
Setting the description limit to "0" disables it completely. Let us know how that works for you..

#5 Nigel Barker

Nigel Barker

• TubePress Pro
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding but that worked a treat & you can see the results here http://www.jewishwed...ideo-portfolio/

Thanks for a great plugin.

#6 Nigel Barker

Nigel Barker

• TubePress Pro
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Forgot to mention that I appreciate the architecture of your plugin as I just upgraded to TubePress 2.4.4 & my modifications were carried forward without any intervention from me.

#7 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the kind words! And I'm glad that everything is worked out for you.

p.s. Your site looks great. Clean, elegant, and professional. Feel free to add it to the showcase if you'd like!

#8 Emily Bryner Harrison

Emily Bryner Harrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Does this code work for Wix as well? How would I implement it there? Thanks!