These Forums Are Now Read-Only

For TubePress support, please post a question here or open a support ticket and we will be glad to assist.

Photo

Youtube Meta Shows Playlist Author, Not Video Author

Best Answer brandon, 26 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hi Keith,

Still waiting for the Developers to answer this, sorry.  They're pretty busy with TubePress 4.0.0 and getting it out in a final release as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KeithAdv

KeithAdv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

I've just started using TubePress in a WordPress site using only YouTube videos. I want to use a YouTube playlist and also show the video author on the page generated by TubePress. However, the "author" that's getting displayed is my YouTube user name, not the author of video itself.

Is there any way around that, when using playlists?

#2 KeithAdv

KeithAdv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

Thinking about it further, I'd be surprised if the video author name weren't returned in the playlist metadata, perhaps under a different tag? Is there some modification we can make in the PHP code that could let us specify that in the shortcode?

#3 brandon

brandon

Advanced Member

• TubePress Staff
  • 1989 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hi Keith,

I've asked one of our developers if the API allows this.

Thanks!

Want a faster, more personalized support experience? Open a ticket with us! We will be gradually phasing out forum-based support in favor of a proper ticketing system. Please help us help you!

#4 KeithAdv

KeithAdv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

Thank you! I look forward to their answer. I'm looking for the easiest way to put together and organize a group of YouTube videos of my choosing from varied sources and display the authors below their respective videos--all with a single shortcode call to tubepress.

Except for the problem above, playlists seem like the best way to achieve that.

#5 eric

eric

Lead Developer

• TubePress Staff
  • 2787 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Strange - I'm not sure if that has always been the behavior with playlists of if that is new. YouTube is definitely returning the author of the playlist instead of the video author. But as you suggested the video author is in the feed. If you feel comfortable working in PHP, here is where the author is currently retrieved.

Here's what a single entry in the feed looks like. TubePress is currently fetching author/name, when it seems that it should be media:group/media:credit. I will look into fixing this for the final release of TubePress 4.0.0.

<entry ...>
	<author>
		<name>PLAYLIST AUTHOR</name>
	</author>
	<media:group>
		<media:credit ...>VIDEO AUTHOR</media:credit>
	</media:group>
</entry>

#6 KeithAdv

KeithAdv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

That is terrific news. Thank you for looking into this!

Yes, I am comfortable editing PHP, but I really shouldn't be, because I don't have a clue!

I knew enough to replace atom:author/atom:name with media:group/media:credit at the appropriate line in that file but I don't know if the remainder of that line and the two that follow are correct. 

Doesn't seem to be because all I'm getting is an empty string. With a little more coaching, I could get there. Thanks for all assistance on this!

#7 KeithAdv

KeithAdv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Hmmm...well, I'm kind of dead in the water for a bit. I haven't found an alternative plugin that has all the features of this one yet. But I'm working on a page that highlights video authors, so I can't go live until I can get that bit figured out. Waiting for v4 seems to be risky, since--as I noted elsewhere--there currently seems to be a compability issue between v4 and the Divi theme.

I'm sure all developers are scrambling to get v4 all perfect for release, which is understandable.

If any PHP mavens stumble across this thread and can lend a hand on helping me make this patch on v3, it would be most appreciated.

#8 brandon

brandon

Advanced Member

• TubePress Staff
  • 1989 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hi Keith,

The changes you made to the lines referenced by Eric should work properly.  Do you have a page with TubePress 3.1.6 and this modification running, with debug turned on, that i can take a look at to troubleshoot a little further?

Thanks!

Want a faster, more personalized support experience? Open a ticket with us! We will be gradually phasing out forum-based support in favor of a proper ticketing system. Please help us help you!

#9 KeithAdv

KeithAdv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

Ha! I'm a dope. In my shortcode, I had previously set "author=false"

Having said that, I think this is a great step in the right direction. However, I should note that the value being returned is technically the user or channel name, and not the author name. For example, look at this gallery from a playlist I just put together at random:

http://testground.cr...t/divine/video/

Those are user names (and one is a channel ID for a user who apparently didn't set a user name for his channel yet!):

mrchilloutbear
G96frjyMVUSQSGiJzb58VA
andyfieldmagic
aliasmike2002
1eruanis
shedscience

However, on the actual playlist, here are the author names, respectively:

Chillout Bear
The Dumping Ground
Andy Field - Card Trick and Magic Teacher
Keep It Underground
MindMastery
Sally Le Page

#10 KeithAdv

KeithAdv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

Just looping back...any thoughts on this?

#11 brandon

brandon

Advanced Member

• TubePress Staff
  • 1989 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:12 PM   Best Answer

Hi Keith,

Still waiting for the Developers to answer this, sorry.  They're pretty busy with TubePress 4.0.0 and getting it out in a final release as soon as possible.

Thanks!